Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lasik and ICL and cosmetic appearance

Sir, I have slight myopia in my left eye (-5)and high amblyopia in my right eye...Doctors at New Delhi suggested lasik in left eye and implantable collamer lens (icl) in right eye (half correction. When they reviewed my both eyes, the told me neither of the eyes were fit for their respective treatments and said your retina needs to be sealed with laser barrage which i have undergone and i am waiting for the lasik and icl appointment which need to be done after 3 weeks post barrage queries are....
1. have doctors lied to me for money or can an ineligible candidate become eligible after laser barrage
2. does any of the procedures change your external appearance of eyes
3. should i feel uncomfortable in my eyes after these surgeries
4. which one should i go for 1st and the minimum gap between the two
5.If i dont go for these surgeries....has laser barrage already benefited me somehow...
any other suggestions.....I will be delighted to be replied back

Dear irfan,

Firstly, you need to trust the centre / doctors who are going to treat your eyes, as it is vision for life!

Neither procedures change the external appearance at all. You may look better as you get rid of glasses.
There is some time during the healing period when you may feel discomfort and some symptoms, but your doctors should talk you through them.

The laser for the retina is a must if they have detected any weak areas like degeneration, or retinal holes. The barrage laser is an Argon laser treatment. 3 weeks gap is enough time, but it can be extended as you wish, as both LASIK and ICL are both elective suyregeries.

Barrage laser is a 'must do'. there is no question if the diagnosis is correct, as a weak retina has potential of getting worse and in a more major issue called retinal detachment.

The LASIK and ICL has to be decdided by you as I mentioned they are elective or planned and not a 'must do'.

Speak to the counsellor in your centre to help you further.

If in Mumbai, we would be happy to help.

Dr Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and