Ophthalmology & Optometry/Pathological myopia

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Dovie,

Please will you help me, I have five questions about pathological myopia and I would be so grateful if you would help me.

1. If you had pathological myopia, and had a prescription of -20 or so by age 25, what is the likelihood that you will end up with myopic macular degeneration, and at what age is this degeneration likely to occur?

2. Is pathological myopia always present at birth, or can it come on at any age? If it's not always present at birth, could someone have completely normal vision at birth and then go on to develop pathological myopia? What age is most common for pathological myopia to come on?  

3. In someone with pathological myopia, how much and how often does the prescription generally worsen? Does it get worse every year, or can it worsen even quicker than that? And by how much does it usually worsen at a time?

4. Do people who have very high myopia (for instance -20) always have pathological myopia, or is it possible for people to have that level of myopia all their lives without it being pathological?

5. If it is possible to have very high myopia without it being pathological, if someone had very high myopia (-20), and this prescription was mostly stable, but sometimes worsened, is that normal, or would that be pathological myopia?

I hope that my questions aren't too vague or too stupid. This is very important to me but I am very new to learning about pathological myopia. I hope I'm not wasting your time. Thank you very much.

ANSWER: I apologize for the delay in my response, here are some answers.

1.  It's difficult to predict progression, but it's very uncommon for pathologic myopia to continue to change into the 30s and 40s.  We wouldn't expect large changes that late, but -0.50 wouldn't be uncommon over a year or so.

2.  It is not always present at birth, although there are typically signs of it in the first few years.  In the early years, it would just be 'high' or 'progressive' myopia.  It typically doesn't get the term 'pathologic' myopia until the axial length of the eye is over 26mm.

3.  Too complex to answer - everyone is different.  A typical change is less than 1.00 diopter.

4. High myopia is a risk factor for pathologic myopia.  Pathologic myopia means that the shape of the eye is long enough, that the tissues are at risk for degenerative change.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thank you so much, Dr Dovie, that's so helpful.

Could you tell me, please, if your prescription is -20, what is the likelihood that degenerative change in the tissues will occur? Is it basically a fait accompli when the prescription is that bad?

Thank you so much again for your help.

Answer
I would suspect a prescription of that number already has some thinning of the retina and sclera, just based on shape.  So in a way, yes, it already has some 'degenerative' changes.  It doesn't mean it will cause retinal detachment, etc, but it should certainly be monitored yearly.
Good Luck.
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO