Ophthalmology & Optometry/swollen eye

Question
Hello, I'm currently having problems with my right eye. About 5 days ago I was getting ready to walk my dog and as I went to attach the leash to his collar when he jumped at me and his nose made forceable contact with my right eye. He is a medium sized dog and his snout is about the size of my eye.

I was taken back by the hit but felt well enough to go about my day. It wasn't until about 36 hours later that I noticed the problem with my eye. When I woke up I noticed my right eye was very strange looking. It is about 40% smaller than my left and half shut. There is no bulge, bruising, or redness. Only more swollen and a half shut appearance. The only pain I can feel is when light pressure is applied to my eye. My vision seems to be a little altered due to my eye not being fully open but nothing more. It has been about 3 days with symptoms and it has only merely improved. I'm not sure what to do.

I have never had issues with my eyes. I do not wear glasses/contacts. Will this go away? Are there any home remedies? Should I make an appointment with my GP or an optometrist?

Thank you so much!!!!

Answer
Sky,
I'm sorry to hear about your eye problems.  A mild injury to the eye can cause swelling on and around the eye.  This can cause the eyelid to come down, making your eye look smaller.  This swelling can also cause sensitivity to light and blurred vision.  If the symptoms last more than a few days, I think the most prudent thing would be to make an appointment with an eye doctor - they have specific training, and instruments, to evaluate the tissues around the eye and ensure it heals properly.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO