Ophthalmology & Optometry/Vision correction dilemma

Question
Hello,

I'm 57 years old, in good health, and have worn soft contacts for decades.  I have never had a problem getting clear and crisp vision in both eyes, although my prescription is different in each one (-5.50 in the left; -4.00 in the right).  After my most recent vision exams (at 2 different optometrists), I am still not getting crisp vision in my right eye after correction.  A slight astigmatism was eventually detected in my right eye for the first time, but even with a toric lens, the vision is still noticeably blurred in that eye (albeit it mildly) compared to the left.  I also noticed that my vision is much brighter in the left than the right eye when I compare them, and one of the doctors said this could be the early signs of a cataract in my right eye, although none can be seen on exam.  This "uneven" vision is driving me crazy, especially with distance vision, even though it's not severe.  The latest exam has me at 20/20 in both eyes, so why am I noticing that details are sharper in my left than right, and why do I feel as though there is a slight fog or haze blurring my right eye vision overall?  The doctors are frustrated with me, and I am frustrated with them.  There must be a reason that I am not seeing clearly from this eye and I'm hoping there is a way it can be identified and corrected.  There are no ophthalmologists in my area, so I am stuck with what I have locally for now.

Your professional opinion and advice would be much appreciated.

Answer
Summer,
It sounds very frustrating, I'm sorry.  
Nothing beats a physical exam, so it's hard to say without seeing you myself, but I suspect early cataracts may be the culprit.  At 57, it would be completely expected to have the beginnings of cataracts - most people start to show signs in their 50s.  As the crystalline lens inside the eye stiffens and the proteins change, the clear lens can get different kinds of 'haze' to it.  Some of these have little to no impact on vision and function, and other times the smallest amount can have a large and dramatic impact.
A dilated eye exam from any optometrist or ophthalmologist would be able to evaluate the lens to check for this and see if it's the culprit.
I would also suggest a visual field - which helps test the conduction of the optic nerve - how good is the signal from the eye to the brain.  It's a quick, simple test that 99% of eye doctors would have in their office.
Another pertinent exam would be corneal topography - a map of the front surface of the cornea.  With age, contact lens wear, and sometimes pathology, the surface of the eye can change - flatten or steepen in certain areas.  This can change your contrast sensitivity, increase blur, etc, but without a topography done it would be nearly impossible to detect.
If your problems persist or worsen, I would consider talking to your doctor about further testing including the above, or seek another opinion.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO