Ophthalmology & Optometry/Adult onset myopia

I am a 72 year old male,that was formerly slightly farsighted,with some astigmatism.Had glasses for these conditions ,but now have been prescribed glasses for nearsightedness.The new prescription is, -1.00 with a reading add of + 3.50.
Since wearing the new glasses for only a few weeks,I am quite dependent on them.Would this be considered a strong prescription for adult myopia?
Can you tell me more about Adult onset myopia,and does the prescription get stronger over time,as it does with younger people?
Thank you for any info you may provide.

Adult onset myopia is generally the cause of nuclear sclerosis that is the increased density and thickness of the crystalline lens of the eye . This generally occurs with the aging process and is the precursor of cataract formation. your prescription is not strong and is quite common. Regular eye check ups will determine if your condition is progressive or stable.    Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry