Ophthalmology & Optometry/cataract surgery

Question
I had a cataract removed from my eye 2 days ago.  The eye also has a macular pucker.  Last night, while riding home, the lights from the car console were glowing. My eye that just had surgery could see what looked like a line of light from the buttons that were lit (the radio, seatbelt button, etc) each line was the color of the button.  I tested my other eye(by covering the surgical eye), no line.  Even if I turned my head, the line was still there and at the same angle (like a line from the 10 and 5 on a clock).  If I placed my hand flat, like a blinder, on either side (out side or side by nose) the line of light was gone. If I tilted my head up or down quite a bit I could get it to not show up also. Is this normal? I don't notice any other line/glare with regular lights.  Should I call the Dr?  Thanks

Answer
Dear Victoria,

Firstly, after cataract, it takes a few days for the sight to settle down, and what one sees is uncrisp vision, spread of some light etc. What you may be experiencing may even be due to dilation effect of eye drops or even the direct recovery from the cataract itself.

Do not tilt your head or do sudden movements when the lens of the eye has just been placed and takes time to settle in place.

Yes, do visit your doctor in a weeks time or as advised, and SOS only if the symptoms continue to scare you. Then do not wait, but schedule that visit.

Best

Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS