Ophthalmology & Optometry/dry eye

QUESTION: dr berger,I have dry eye caused by blocked oil glands.the doctor wanted to give me ant-biotic eye ointment.i refused,i don't want anti-biotics in my body.i currently use refresh eye drops and use a ointment that is anti-biotic free.my symptons are tearing,and feeling like something in my eye.i don't have blurry vision,just tearing and feeling like sand in my eye.in the morning I wash my eyes with Johnson baby shampoo diluated to ger ointment out of my eyrlashes.I don't think this condition leads to vision loss as long as I use artificial tears and put ointment at night on eye lashsa.I am admant against anti-biotics because this is chronic and those anti-biotics give you c-diff and all kinds of problems.chances of vision loss with this?

ANSWER: You obviously have dry eyes syndrome and the protocol is artificial tears application frequently during the stay hot compresses on the eyelashes five or six times per day and I bland anabiotic ointment like clarithromycin appointment for bacitracin appointment so that we keep the bacteria count downThe antibiotic is harmless and very very rarely has any adverse affects and is not systemically absorbed but is locallized on the eyelashes.  Dr Berger

QUESTION: what is the actual fact about dry eyes from plugged up oil glands and loss of vision.some eye doctors say dry eye does not cause vision loss others say dry eye causes  vision loss

If untreated, uncontrolled dry eyes contribute to corneal erosions, corneal ulcers, scarring, infection etc., loss of vision can occur  but this is rare and the exception rather than the rule . This is precisely why we treat the number 1 eye disease in the world aggressively. Hope this helps. Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry