Ophthalmology & Optometry/eye Infection

Question
I have a minor eye infection from Acuvue Oasis contacts. Apparently I was allergic to the silicon/hydragel. I am on Oflaxacin and Durezol 3 times a day. This is my second day of treatment and my eyes were looking better. However, after I showered the corner of my eye is extremely red again. I have had small amounts of white discharge. I have no pain or discomfort. The patch of red vessell seems to be focused in the corner of my left eye near my nose. Are the drops not working?

Answer
hi John,
Some of what you report doesn't make sense to me.  you are on a strong antibiotic and steroid yet you said you had an allergy.  Actually I doubt the allergy idea, but maybe it is so.  Maybe it was a solution issue, or a fit/wear problem; however, as long as you are getting better, stay the course and use a cool compress and a few drops of preservative free lubricating drops after the shower. Be careful with contacts and start slowly and carefully when you resume wear. Keep water out of your eyes too. Call your prescribing doctor and update them as well.

Best,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod