Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye treatment

My 10 years old child diagnosised his both eye slight -3.5 . Is there any treatment to make his eyes in normal .

Thank you for your question. I know when it comes to our children we worry and do all that we can to help them. So with that in mind let’s see if I can put you at ease.

Having a prescription of -3.50 in and of itself is not necessarily abnormal in the sense that the majority of the population have need for some form of refractive correction. That is to say most people could benefit from wearing glasses. As we age we need them to read and many, myself and your son included, need them to see things across the room and further. Having a prescription for eyeglasses is not in any way considered unhealthy or abnormal, it is just one of those random differences all humans have.

Simply put his eye is longer than it needs to be to focus light at the point on the back of the eye that would give him clear vision so, the lens power of -3.50 refocuses the light to the spot that enables him to see clearly. Without the prescription he does not see well. He, for example, might not see the expressions on your face well enough to tell the difference between a smile and an angry look. He likely cannot not see the blackboard at the front of the room in school and would have difficulty with anything past twenty feet, the further away he is trying to see the worse. Stars at night are fuzzy things as is the moon and leaves on trees, not much detail.

At his age there are few options. Glasses and contact lenses are the main two. With contact lenses he must be very clean with his hands and in caring for the lenses so as not to develop an infection. I have taught children at his age to wear and care for contact lenses but I know that other children older than he is are not yet ready for the responsibility.

There is a treatment called Orthokeratology or Ortho-K that uses special contact lenses that he wears while he sleeps to change the shape of the cornea of his eye so that he can take them out and not need to wear anything during the day. So he’d be wearing contact lenses while he slept not while he was awake. As far as his age and prescription go he may be a candidate for that treatment. A doctor would have to evaluate him however to confirm he was a good candidate.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/independent-ECP-pricing.asp Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2007/10oct/content/size-matters.asp

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service