Ophthalmology & Optometry/Slanting Effect of New Glasses

Hello, I'm a 23 year old female medical student, so I've been surrounded with books and paperwork for the past 6 years. I also spend a lot of time on the computer. I've been suffering from migraines for a very long time, since I was 8, and when I was old enough I started prophylactic therapy. When I was 16, I concluded that my headaches may be due to my eyes so I got my vision checked and was found to have astigmatism, and slight myopia, and I got glasses for that which I wore continuously until I graduated high school -about two years. I stopped wearing them when I started college, and now, 6 years into the future, I've felt that my vision has gotten worse. Things far from me are blurry, I couldn't read off an ECG off the projector screen the other day even though I was sitting in the second row, and I still get a lot of headaches. So I went to the optometrist yesterday and this is the prescription I got:

Sphere       Cyl     Axis    
R      -1.00     -1.00     73
L      -0.75     -1.25    142       

IPD: 61 MM

Today is my second day wearing the glasses and I'm trying to keep them on all the time but I've noticed the following, and it's pretty weird:

1) Square or rectangular shapes looked like this with the new glasses: / \, sometimes like this | \, like a trapezoid. Be it my laptop screen, my phone, a paper I'm looking at, anything square.

2) Flat surfaces severely look like they're slanting towards me, as if everything on them is going to slide into my lap (pretty weird when there's coffee or coins..)

3) It's weird when I walk. I can't put my finger on it, but I almost tripped on curbs and steps so many times.

These are my current main complaints, and I don't know if it's because the glasses are new and my eyes need to adjust or because something is off in the make of the lens, but I've decided not to drive in them for sure for the meantime because it seems pretty dangerous. Don't get me wrong, they make everything crisp and HD, but it's also a bit wonky, so I'm not sure.

I have a two month repair guarantee time, so I'd like to make use of that need it may.

Any input would be much appreciated.

What you are describing is 100% normal when getting a new pair of glasses, especially when there is astigmatism (cyl) in the lenses.  It bends light in a certain way that your brain has been compensating for over the past few years.  It's going to take a few days, maybe a week, to retrain your brain on what the world 'really' looks like.  If you have trouble with the new lenses after 2 wks, I would go back and have them recheck - many times we'll cut it down to help you adjust (go from -1.00 to -0.75, for example).
Good Luck!

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO

As a residency-trained Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry I am able to answer most questions regarding eye and vision health. Anything is welcome, ranging from dry or allergy eyes, bifocal contact lenses, or thoughts on LASIK surgery. As I am not a surgeon, detail-oriented surgical-related questions may be better answered by an ophthalmologist.

Selected to participate in the PCO residency program in Philadelphia at The Eye Institute, where I worked OD and MD specialists gaining invaluable experience in various clinics including glaucoma, cornea and cataract, oculo-plastics, retinal disease, neuro-ophthalmic disease, primary care, emergency medicine, and special populations. Have practiced and trained in numerous settings including hospital, academic, retail and private practice. I earned my Fellowship in the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). There are currently only about 3000 active fellows worldwide, and there are only about 70 Fellows in the state of Virginia. I currently own and operate my own optometric practice/clinic.

American Academy of Optometry, American Optometric Association (Contact Lens/Cornea Section member since 2001), Southwest Virginia Optometric Association, Virginia Tech Alumni Association

“Nyctalopia as the Presenting Sign of Vitamin A Deficiency: A Late Complication of Gastric Bypass Surgery.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Denver, Colorado, December 2006, co-authored with Bradley Lane, OD.
“The Importance of Considering Paranasal Sinus Mucocele as a Differential Diagnosis in Diplopia.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry San Diego, California, December 2005, co-authored with Kelly Malloy, OD, FAAO and Cherie Farkash, OD.
“Acute Onset of Halos and Glare: Bilateral Keratitis—An Atypical Presentation of Amiodarone Keratopathy.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Tampa, Florida December 2004. Also Presented to New Jersey Academy of Optometry, Neptune, New Jersey March 2005.
“The Opportunity for an Optometrist to Save a Life.” Clinical Case Study and Grand Rounds Presentation presented at The Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2004.
“Corneal whorls cause wonder.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 10/15/2006.
“Acute onset of halos and glare: bilateral corneal epithelial edema with cystic eruptions--atypical presentation of amiodarone keratopathy.” Co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO. Published February, 2006, Optometry.
“Pondering the posterior polka-dots.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 5/15/2005.
Professional Involvement:
“AION: Amiodarone-Induced or Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy?” Participated as a peer-review referee for Expert Review of Ophthalmology (London, UK); refereed 10/2006.

Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, Virginia Tech. Bachelor of Science, Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Doctorate (OD), Pennsylvania College of Optometry Residency, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry

Winner, First Place, "Best Beside Manner" by Our Health Magazine: 2012, 2013, 2014 Winner, First Place, "Best Eye Doctor" by The Roanoke Times: 2013, 2014 Recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, December, 2006 Recipient of the Onofrey G. Rybachok Memorial Scholarship, 2000-2001 Member: The Golden Key International Honor Society Member: The National Biological Honor Society Member: The National Honor Society Eagle Scout awarded 1994