Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye twitching

Question
Hi Dr. John,  I have a eye twitching problem with my left eye. It does not seem dry and it is just my left eye.  I have been using drops for dry eye but it is not getting any better. I am wondering what is causing it and would like to know how to fix it.  It is more bothersome than sore but it is driving me crazy.

Answer
Donella,
In general an eyelid twitch is nothing to worry about, although it can be very annoying.
The typical causes for this twitch, called a 'lid myokymia' is one of the following, if not a combination: stress, fatigue, lack of sleep, and too much caffeine.
The twitch can even move from lower left to upper right eyelid, and it's still not a concern.
The only times we worry about them is if they move outside of the eye lid - if it moves to your eyebrow or cheek, etc, then we would consider a referral to neurology.
If you can, modify your lifestyle - try and get more sleep, cut down the caffeine, watch your stress, etc.
If it's bothering you, there are some anecdotal fixes that can help: eat a banana, cold compress, take an antihistamine, or drink some tonic water.
If it's persistent your doctor can do a small botox injection near the site.
Good Luck!
Dr. Dovie

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO