Ophthalmology & Optometry/retinal detachment

Question
QUESTION: I have a 65-year-old female friend who had a partial retinal detachment 3 weeks ago. She is -2 with 20/20 corrected vision. Apparently she has a small amount of cataract which does not decrease her acuity. The doctors at St. Lukes in FL plan to use a laser to reattach the retina later this week. They say it is at hour 11 on the clock. They want to remove the lens of that eye so that the laser can do its job better. Then they will install an artificial lens.  As you know there is a risk involved with lens removal. One such risk is a bigger chance of further retinal detachment. I wonder if removal of the lens is really necessary?

ANSWER: Very often after retinal detachment surgery with laser, a cataract develops and has to be removed. The best person to discuss this matter with is the retinal surgery. If you're not happy with his professional judgment seek a second opinion.  Good luck

QUESTION: I contacted you for the second opiniion. If a cataract develops after laser surgery, THEN it can be removed. Why run the risk of removing the lens now when it might turn out not to be necessary?

Answer
Again the best person to ask these questions is the eye surgeon.  Since I am not a surgeon nor trained in
Eye surgery , I will have to defer to those who
Perform these procedures . Simply ask why the cataract has to
Be removed prior to its becoming ripe and becomes visually significant  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER