Ophthalmology & Optometry/Astigmatism

Dear Doctor,
My son is 13yrs old and is suffering with Astigmatism for the past 5yrs. Doctor said that there is no permanent cure for this and has to wear the spectacles for the entire life. Is there any new treatment for this inIndia? If so is there in tamil nadu? Pls clarify.

With Best Regards,

Hi Suresh,

There is definitely a treatment for Astigmatism ! It is called Laser Vision Correction - LASIK !

It is one of the safest and most commonly performed eye surgery in the world !

But as of now I would not advise it. It can be done only after the age of 18 years, that too after the eye number has stabilized.

Right now I would suggest your son to wear glasses, have his eyes checked every 6-12 months and think about LASIK after his turns 18 years !

Dr Jay Goyal
Surya Eye Institute

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Jay Goyal

All Retina Related queries, Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataract surgery, LASIK, Age Related Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma, Uveitis, etc

Surya Eye is Mumbai's FIRST ISO 9001:2008 certified eye hospital. Diabetic Retinopathy, Retina Lasers, Intra-vitreal Injections like Avastin etc are my core specialty. I have more than 10 years of experience in Premium Cataract Surgery which include variety of Multi-focal & Toric Lenses,Femto BLADE-LESS LASIK and ICL - Implantable Collamer Lenses.

Retina Consultant - Surya Eye Institute

American Journal of Ophthalmology pls refer to www.suryaeye.com OR PUBMED

M.B.B.S, D.O.M.S, Retina & Uveitis Consultant fellowship from L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad.

please visit www.suryaeye.com