Ophthalmology & Optometry/Cone Rod Dystrophy

Dear Dr. Goyal,
I started having eye problems in 2011, and was diagnosed in 2013 with cone rod dystrophy (ERG, Fields, OCT, Colour Vision Tests). According to the Retina Specialist, the diagnosis is confounding, as there is no family history of this or any other debilitating eye disease, and he was not able to find a cause for it.
As the loss of vision seems to have become more rapid over the last 6 months, I cannot help but think that further investigation is essential to identify a cause for the condition, which may or may not be hastening the progression.
I am otherwise completely healthy with no other conditions of any kind. A medication history (for depression) was thoroughly evaluated and ruled out. A neurological investigation has been conducted and ruled out (MRI, VEP). CBC, RBS, LFT, KFT, TFT, Lipid profile all normal.
Please advise on how best to proceed. Thank you.

Hi Sharon,

Cone Rod Dystrophy is a genetic condition. It is something you have no control on. You cannot do much to halt the progression or outcome of this condition.

It is an Autosomal dominant Genetic condition which unfortunately has no treatment.

You have been tested well by your doctor and doing anything more will be futile and waste of time and effort. Even if we identify the cause of the problem, being genetic we cannot do anything about it.

I suggest to continue with your normal routine, do as your doctor has advised, get your eyes checked regularly and contact me for anything.

Wish you all the very best. I am sure you can lead a very good quality of life. Do not let this come in way of achieving your dreams !

Dr Jay Goyal
Surya Eye Institute

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Jay Goyal

All Retina Related queries, Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataract surgery, LASIK, Age Related Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma, Uveitis, etc

Surya Eye is Mumbai's FIRST ISO 9001:2008 certified eye hospital. Diabetic Retinopathy, Retina Lasers, Intra-vitreal Injections like Avastin etc are my core specialty. I have more than 10 years of experience in Premium Cataract Surgery which include variety of Multi-focal & Toric Lenses,Femto BLADE-LESS LASIK and ICL - Implantable Collamer Lenses.

Retina Consultant - Surya Eye Institute

American Journal of Ophthalmology pls refer to www.suryaeye.com OR PUBMED

M.B.B.S, D.O.M.S, Retina & Uveitis Consultant fellowship from L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad.

please visit www.suryaeye.com