Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye Exam

Question
Hello. I believe I should be getting a general eye exam, as I am 19 and have not has one. I was wondering if you would be able to tell me a little about what happens in a general eye test/exam. Also; is it possible to have astigmatism, and not know it, or require glasses to see. Thanks for your help!!!

Answer
hi Sarah,
Astigmatism is simply a blur due to a difference in clarity between the vertical and horizontal details of an object (or two other perpendicular meridians).  it is common and in about 80% of us. the blur is cleared up when you put on glasses like if you are nearsighted.  the exam will test your vision, determine glasses needs, exam the eye's physical health and focusing/movement/aiming ability.  It should be fun and interesting, ask all the questions you want.
Best,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod