Ophthalmology & Optometry/floaters

Question
Hi! I'm nearsighted 30 years old have Posterior Vitreous Detachment and recently developed floaters from boxing.  My question is will I be more prone to getting more floaters after the PVD ends or will my risk remain the same as before I had PVD? I want to get back to boxing again but am afraid of getting more floaters, so I want to know if I'm at a higher risk now so I can make a decision to continue or not.  By the way normally how long does PVD last? Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Answer
Dennis,
As the PVD process moves forward you're likely to see a few more floaters, typically small.  The concern is that if the retina has a break or tear, this could also cause a change in floaters. Over the next few weeks I would normally advise no impact activities - impact could cause a retinal break if the PVD is incomplete.
Once the pvd is 'complete' (it usually takes about a month) the floaters shouldn't change much or increase at all, even with boxing, etc.
You can, of course, still have a retinal break (or tear) with impact, but this risk is fairly low once you've had a PVD.
When in doubt, sit it out.  I'd say take it easy for a month, have a dilated eye exam and have them give you the thumb's up for getting back to boxing.
Be safe, and good luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO