Ophthalmology & Optometry/Glasses lenses different sizes

I recently got a pair of glasses for mid distance. I noticed the arms were at different angles and on closer inspection it was obvious that the left frame was smaller (in height) than the right. The lens did not fit properly and a long screw had been used, leaving a small gap in the clamp.

I took them back and was told that they were different sizes because the prescription for each eye was different. I'm not sure about this, I think they were bad frames. Is there any situation where different size lenses need to be used?

Rt: Sph -4.5, Cyl +.5 Ax 95     Lf: Sph -4.5 Cyl +1 Ax 75

I think the correction for mid field is +1.25, jotted below.

Hi Ian,
It sounds like you are describing two lenses that are not equal in height and width so that the left and right side of the frame are not equal.  I would just take the glasses to a different optician or two and ask for an opinion and advice.  The difference in left/right prescriptions is minimal and would only affect the thickness and weight.  
Best of luck,
Mitch Axelrod,OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease