Ophthalmology & Optometry/Did I Have a Peripheral Vision Test?

Question
Hello,

I visited a new optometrist today. One of the tests his assistant gave me was to look into a machine which showed an image of a long driveway leading to a barn. Both of my eyes were tested one at a time looking at this image. I was not required to do anything except look at the image. Later, when I returned home, I wondered if that was a peripheral vision test. My previous optometrist had a device with blinking lights where I was required to push a button each time I saw a light.

Just want to make sure my peripheral vision was tested today.

Thanks for your time.

Ingrid

Answer
Ingrid,
The test you're describing sounds like a typical auto-refraction - an instrument that helps determine how out of focus your eyes are, and give the doctor a starting point for your prescription.
Side vision testing is still done in a similar manner as you noted before - either with an automated instrument where you click a button when you see a light or shape - or by hand, with the doctor having you count fingers that are held off to the side.
When in doubt, give your doctor a call and ask.  
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO