Ophthalmology & Optometry/Post Operational Problem in Cataract Surgery

Question
Respected Sir,
         My  elder brother had undergone CATARACT SURGERY IN RIGHT EYE BY PHACO,but developed some problem in Retina like a sudden increase in  floaters.Actually this thing happen in 2-3% unfortunate cases as per  www.nei.nih.gov(National Eye Institute),although there may not be any problem in operation.He has also some cataract problem in the other eye.Here the Doctors have different views.As the already operated eye is still not normal and is being attended some are opining to postpone the operation till the operated eye is normal,while others are suggesting to go for the operation in the other eye.
  My question is that as the other eye is still not in risky stage whether INORDINATE DELAY /WITHHOLDING OPERATION may cause more trouble.How long should we wait?

Answer
Dear Kalyan,

This is a question that only the examining surgeon can answer- whether you should do the cataract surgery now, or it can wait.
The thing is that a cataract definitely needs treatment when it starts to interfere with vision and daily routine. The treatment for cataract is only surgery.
Depending on the extent of cataract and how much your brother can see, the decision of 'when to do the surgery' is planned.

Please speak to your treating surgeon regarding the same.

Best
Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS