Ophthalmology & Optometry/astigmatism

Question
QUESTION: My son is 5 years & 8 months old. Although he doesn't complain of any eye problem, for an over all check-up we got his eye testing done for the first time. The doctor checked through various different ways including dilating, and found that he has power. After 2 days again he was checked for his correct power and the power prescribed by the doctor is:
For right eye:
Nil(SPH), +1.0(CYL), 80deg(AXIS), 6/9(VA)
For left eye:
-0.5(SPH), +1.75(CYL), 90deg(AXIS), 6/9(VA).
He has been told to wear the respective glasses throughout the day, specifically when in school, reading, doing home-work, watching TV. But not necessary if he's moving around or playing.
On asking the doctor, whether the power can be corrected fully if he wears regularly, the doctor says that with age, the + power can be corrected, but - power generally keeps increasing with age, so possibility is he may have to use glasses forever.
Can you please throw light on this observation for a second opinion? Also i want to know, isn't it too early to wear glasses. What i have been knowing is that the cornea muscles get stronger day by day for a child as he grows, so their eye-sight keep improving as they become toddler.
Please suggest.
Thanks
Papiya

ANSWER: Papiya,
Once the astigmatism (cyl) is over 1.50 it is very standard to prescribe, as uncorrected astigmatism is highly associated with developing amblyopia, or a 'lazy eye.'  
I would agree with the doctor's recommendations, and prescribe your son to wear the glasses, and would likely recommend full time.  The prescription may get a little better, or may get worse, over time.  Wearing glasses will not change how the eye develops.
When in doubt, get a second opinion, but it sounds very reasonable to me.
Good Luck,
Dr.D

QUESTION: How is astigmatism detected? How is the exact power of astigmatism detected? For a 5 year old child, can the power of astigmatism be detected accurately? Because when we went on the second day, and he was asked by the doctor to read the alphabets on screen to estimate the actual power, the doctor said that with & without glasses he sees with same clarity. So how did they finalise on the power?
Should we get the power checked by another doctor before starting with wearing glasses? Or should we start with the glasses immediately, and sometime later go for another check-up?
Will his eyes get affected if he's not wearing the accurate power glasses now?

Answer
There are many ways a doctor can determine the correct prescription. It wouldn't hurt if you got a 2nd opinion before wearing the glasses, waiting a week or two would harm nothing. I normally scheduled my young children 48 follow up in 30 days. At that point I will recheck the prescription and make adjustments if necessary. Good luck

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO