Ophthalmology & Optometry/dry eye

dr shroff,I know its difficult to give medical advice over e- mail I would like your opion.I had dry eye and made a mistake in judjment and went to optometrist instead of eye doctor.she said I had dry eye and when she  squeezed my oil glands substance like tooth paste came out.she gave me no  option but to take 200mg of doxycycline for 30 days.i am extremely reluctant to take anti-botics for fear of c-diff.i cant take restasis eye drops because I am 80 and have hypertension and reduced kidney function.i thought there was bacterial ointment you can put in eyes to avoid anti-botics and c-diff.thanks for your time

Dear Howard,

the Doxycycline is an antibiotic. but she may have given this not for the dry eyes, but possibly as she may have found some signs of infection. dry eyes do not ooze out any discharge.

However, an antibiotic eye drop would suffice instead of an oral medication.

You may need to check with a local doctor as all antibiotics are dispensed via a prescription alone.

Meanwhile, there is no harm in using simple eye drops like Refresh Tears or genteal eye drops for lubrication when you feel the need with tired blurry eyes.
Hope this helps,

Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in