Ophthalmology & Optometry/Stone eye

Question
Hi Mr Dovie. I am writing a story set in the Dark Ages in which I would like to have a character who wears a white stone in place of a missing eye. Would this be possible without causing infection? With apologies for being gory, if his original eye had perhaps been burned out with a hot poker would that mean he could wear the stone without risk of infection as the socket is just burnt skin?
Apologies for the oddness of this post!

Answer
Craig,
Cool question and I'll walk you through it.
The short answer is sure, why not.  :)

But there's going to be a few stipulations...

It would be best if the poker enucleates the eye / the entire eye 'ball' is gone.  This would leave some periorbital fat, muscle and nerve to be cauterized/seal, and hopefully some of the glands that produce tears / etc. One of the biggest glands that produces tears, the lacrimal gland, is most important - the tears actually have antibodies/etc in them.  
Here's a link to a diagram of where the gland is (if it matters)...

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/lacrimal_gland.gif

From a medical/scientific standpoint a foreign body in the eye is ok as long as it's inert and doesn't trigger the immune system. So the rock would need to be clean(ish), and very smooth - that's the key.  You may want to make this a river rock/etc that's been smoothed over time. Again, we'll want/need some kind of lubrication, so you may want to seed that in there - maybe something like: after he put in his new 'eye' he hit the floor in pain as tears rolled down his cheeks. after his head cleared, it dawned on him, that even the stone eye had been crying. that's good, he thought, it wasn't a total loss.  (haha, i'm NOT an author...can you tell?)
I hope this helps, let me know if there are any other questions!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO