Ophthalmology & Optometry/Change in prescription when having retina problems

Question
Last March I went to my doctor to get an updated prescription and they sent me to a retina specialist. He did a bunch of tests, diagnoses me with an elevated optic nerve and sent me to a neurologist to see if they could find out why it was suddenly elevated and to check for issues inside my skull. He was rude and no help (literally told me to come back if I go blind) but my retina specialist said he wasn't worried. I followed up in 6 months and had a change in vision of -0.50, not a huge difference. However, it is now six months later and I am far from my yearly checkup with him but I have since had an additional -1.00 change. He told me to come back asap if I have any vision changes above the norm but I am not sure what the norm is. Should I be concerned about a -1.50 change in vision over a one year span? I know everyone is different and there is no set 'normal' but when should I be concerned about the amount of change is my prescription? I don't want to worry myself but a year ago I was talking to doctors about the possibility of a brain tumor and that issue was never really explored by the neurologist. I also don't want to be one of those people that freaks out with every little change so if there is any guidelines or references you could give me to help would be appreciated.

Answer
Dear Courtney.   You didn't indicate your age but progressive changes in myopia is not unusual for individuals under  age 25 and with a family history of myopia.  The bulging optic nerve head is of
More concern: pseudo tumor cerebri is the concern in overweight young females and a MRI IS required to determine if a space occupying lesion is the cause of a bulging optic nerve head which
May indicate increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure . a neurological and ophthalmologist work up should be undertaken and an internal medicine eval to check all other body functions.   Good luck. Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER