Ophthalmology & Optometry/Mild ptosis and myopia

Question
Dear Doctor Dovie,

Please would you be kind enough to tell me if it is possible to have mild ptosis of the upper lid in one eye, and independently of that, have myopia with a prescription of -3 diopters (in both eyes)?

The story of why I'm asking is a long one, and I don't want to bore you with it...but I would be extremely grateful if you could oblige me and help me with this question.

Thank you so much for your help.

Very best wishes,

Bell

Answer
Bell,
The two things you mentioned are both and independent. Myopia is very common, in fact, the most common refractive issue... There are more people that are nearsighted than there are farsighted or have astigmatism.
Ptosis is a weak eyelid muscle or nerve (sometimes it's more complicated than that). This is not an uncommon condition.
There is  one reason a patient couldn't have both, in fact, there are dozens of patients in my practice that do.

Dr. D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO