Ophthalmology & Optometry/Rhinophyma

Question
Dear Dr,  1)As you would know, rhinophyma, can harm vision. Is there a special eye test to determine what harm specifically the rhinophyma has done to my vision?   2)Can the nasal excision (tissue removal) alone reverse any harm to my vision the rhinophyma may have caused?   Best Regards.

Answer
Dear Asif,

I am not sure why my reply did not get sent to you.

regardless...

1. Rhinopyma is predominantly a skin condition and if it affects the eyes, it is usually as superficial issues like dry eyes, corneal problems etc. very unlikely to cause any issue in the retina or optic nerve which would affect vision permanently.

You will need an ophthalmologist (eye specialist) to examine you as a routine check up to know what vision issues you are facing today..
2. if not facing any issues and you just need to know what precaution to take, then an annual eye examination which involves examination of the retina via dilation of the eyes should siffuce.

3. if the procedure of excision is done with an expert, I see no reason for you to worry regarding any effects on vision.

Best

Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS