Ophthalmology & Optometry/Stinging/Sore Eye Pain With New Glasses

Question
Hello Dr. Dovie, I recently got new glasses and they are making my eyes feel sore/stinging after some hours of wearing them. They do not fit tight and I have had them adjusted perfectly. The prescription is also the same it has always been. The only difference is I use to wear Silhouette Rimless glasses which are very light and the new glasses are the plastic Rayban frames. I'm thinking that I'm not use to the slightly more heavy frames but my face does not hurt it is only the eyes. Do you have any idea what the problem could be. Thanks for your time.

Answer
Sore/stinging is typically not related to the frame as much as it is the vision.  The soreness typically speaks of fatigue of the muscles in or around they eyes.  They may be working harder than they used to, or trying to adjust to something.  The stinging usually is a sign that the front of the eye is drying out - similar to chapped lips.  If dryness gets too bad, your eyes may actually water as a reflex.  When the vision or comfort is not right, we tend not to blink as much, which can cause the drying effect.
My guess is that while the prescription may be the 'same,' surely the lenses aren't.  There are many small measurements applied to a lens other then just the overall strenght.  Pupillary distance, optical center, pantoscopic tilt, and basecurve are a few.  
So, for example, you could have an Rx of -1.00 with basecurve of 5.0 will work and more importantly, "feel" different than on with a base 4.0.
Another example: Rx -2.00, base 4.0, pupillary distance is perfect.  compared to Rx -2.00, base 4.0, pupillary distance is off by 1.0mm in the left eye.  1 millimeter doesnt sound like a lot, but if you're not looking through the center it impact comfort.
I would suggest having a licensed optician (not just *anyone* who works in an optical) compare your old lenses/frame to the new and look for those subtle things.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO