Ophthalmology & Optometry/Contacts

Hey Mitchelle! Just a few quick questions for you on contacts since I'm new to this. First of all when ordering contacts off of a website such as Walgreens, what does "BC" stand for? On some contacts you are given the option of numbers such as 8.6 or 8.7 . Another question would be do you recommend Disposable contacts or ones which last 2 or so weeks? And lastly if I need the same "power" for both eyes does it make a difference if I buy a "right eye" and "left eye" box? or can I just purchase one box? Thank you for the help!

Hi Nikki,
BC stands for base curve, the radius of curvature of the inside concave surface.
Unless they are daily disposable I recommend you clean the contacts nightly and dispose of them according to your doctor's directions It doesn't matter left/right if power is the same.
You should have a legitimate Rx.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease