Ophthalmology & Optometry/Contacts

Question
Hey Mitchelle! Just a few quick questions for you on contacts since I'm new to this. First of all when ordering contacts off of a website such as Walgreens, what does "BC" stand for? On some contacts you are given the option of numbers such as 8.6 or 8.7 . Another question would be do you recommend Disposable contacts or ones which last 2 or so weeks? And lastly if I need the same "power" for both eyes does it make a difference if I buy a "right eye" and "left eye" box? or can I just purchase one box? Thank you for the help!

Answer
Hi Nikki,
BC stands for base curve, the radius of curvature of the inside concave surface.
Unless they are daily disposable I recommend you clean the contacts nightly and dispose of them according to your doctor's directions It doesn't matter left/right if power is the same.
You should have a legitimate Rx.
Thanks,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod