Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eyeglasses and

I (age 58) was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

I cannot possibly tell you if you have or do not have keratoconus without examining your eyes under a slit lamp
Bio microscope  and also performing keratometry and pachymetry to ascertain your corneal thickness.  Also corneal topography is necessary in completing the diagnosis. Rigid gas oermeable contact lenses are often fitted to stabilize this condition ,  furthermore , if three different ophthalmologists  all concur that you have keratoconus, then most  likely you do .  Anti. Glare  coated ophthalmic lenses do indeed minimize glare from headlights, street lights, computer screens , overhead lighting, etc and make vision more comfortable .  Hopes this helps. Dr Berger

Please disregard previous typos  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry