Ophthalmology & Optometry/My eyes with

Question
I (age 58) was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

Answer
Hi Debbie,
keratoconnus is diagnosed by detailed measurements of your corneal thickness and curvature done by fancy instruments these days usually owned by lasik providers.  It may not have symptoms and may be overlooked in a routine exam if its mild.  It can make some people more glare sensitive but I highly recommend antiglare coating for everyone regardless.  all glasses work better the closer they fit to the eyes so your optometrist is giving good advice.  If you get bifocals or similar you should be able to read with glasses on but you may prefer distance only glasses and that is a personal choice.  Consider yourself lucky to have at worst a mild case of keratoconnus without any of the complications. Mild cases of keratoconnus are often not diagnosed as such but have significant or unusual astigmatism but vision is quite good with standard glasses. At your age you should not have any worsening of the condition as it is usually worse and worsening when young but stable when older.
Best of luck,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod