Ophthalmology & Optometry/Keratoconcus and Astigmatism

I (age 58) was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

Dear Debbie,

The symptoms of keratoconus do not always surface. The most reliable test is to have the Topography maps done on the Pentacam machine, this is most sensitive.

If there is a high cylindrical error, spectacle vision is not always crisp.

In keratoconus, one also gets a cylindrical error, however, if keratoconus, a crosslinking procedure should be done to arrest the same.

You may read more about this on www.shroffeye.org

Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in