Ophthalmology & Optometry/Keratoconcus and Astigmatism and eyeglasses

I (age 58) was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

Dear Debbie,

First of all symptoms of keratoconus(mild to moderate) and high astigmatism are very similar.
Keratoconus generally stop progressing at your age or even before, so you don't need to bother about keratoconus. The problems you are facing are due to high astigmatism anti reflection glasses only minimizes reflections from lens surface but selecting a frame that sit close to your eyes would definitely reduce aberrations.

Scleral contact lenses can eliminate most of your symptoms  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma

Happy to answer any question related to the field of Optometry and opticals. Specialize in Corneal, corneal-limbal and Scleral RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable ) contact lenses for keratoconus, post lasik ectasia , dry eyes, etc,

I have been in the field of Optometry since 1989 . Worked as an Optometrist at Shroff Eye Centre New Delhi (INDIA) for 4 years. Established my own Optometry clinic In 1997 and have been practicing since then.

M.Optom D.Opt.(AIIMS)

Optometrist of the year 2009 Award by Cooper Vision.