Ophthalmology & Optometry/Macular Degeneration

Question
Hello My dad is 91 years old And he  had one cataract  remove  And the eye did good His other eye has macular degeneration And they dont wont to do surgery at his age   He eyes are really bad    And he beridden  parlyze But his mind  is still good He love to read but it hard for him now I have heard about a vitamins for eyes called proavision Wonder if that could prolong it or help the macular degeneration What do you think Thank you Carolyn

Answer
At your dads age, macular degeneration is non reversible  but can slow down by 20 to 30% with proper nutritional support. among those vitamins that are conducive to slowing down the progression of ARMD ARE Ovuvite, Preservision and my favorite Aredium. Limit alcohol, smoking, keeping blood pressure and blood sugars in the normal range, and wearing UV Polaroid sunglasses outdoors.   This treats the dry type. If wet macular degeneration  exists , laser or intraocular injections may help.   Wishing him the best   Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER