Ophthalmology & Optometry/Ocular Migraines

Hello Doctor,   I am 60 year old female who has been getting Ocular Migraines for over 30 years having them sometimes twice a day- having headaches sometimes but more often not. I had tests by doctors years ago for the Oculars and they advised me what it was and that was fine. Well much has happened over the years and need advice now as I am getting really worried and it's started again 12 months ago and seems to be coming more frequent, scaring me especially when I see fragmented colours of pink blue green and other colours, it takes approximately 30 minutes before they go leaving me with light sensitivity for days and nausea wanting to vomit which is embarrassing me so much as most times I'm alone and in a public area. Please let me know if I have a major problem I am so worried and frightened. Do you think I have tumour as I am petrified that this condition is not going away and seems to be coming more frequent. Thank you kindly. Regards Karen

Dear Karen.  Firstly you need to see a neurologist.  He / she may order an MRI to make sure nothing compressive is causing your migraines.  We know that stress , smoking, alcohol, cheese, nuts, chocolate , coffee, sodas can trigger migraines.   Good luck.  Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry