Ophthalmology & Optometry/Read below

I (age 58) was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

Dear Debbie,

Having Keratoconus at this age is very very rare. How ever since 3 ophthalmologists have told you so it is better to get yourself checked.

Have you got a Corneal Topography done ?

Please get this done and send me your reports so I can help you better.

Also Anti-glare coating has nothing to do with keratoconus. Ut just helps you to be more confortable with your glasses. So it would be a good option to go with.

Dr Jay Goyal

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Jay Goyal

All Retina Related queries, Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataract surgery, LASIK, Age Related Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma, Uveitis, etc

Surya Eye is Mumbai's FIRST ISO 9001:2008 certified eye hospital. Diabetic Retinopathy, Retina Lasers, Intra-vitreal Injections like Avastin etc are my core specialty. I have more than 10 years of experience in Premium Cataract Surgery which include variety of Multi-focal & Toric Lenses,Femto BLADE-LESS LASIK and ICL - Implantable Collamer Lenses.

Retina Consultant - Surya Eye Institute

American Journal of Ophthalmology pls refer to www.suryaeye.com OR PUBMED

M.B.B.S, D.O.M.S, Retina & Uveitis Consultant fellowship from L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad.

please visit www.suryaeye.com