Ophthalmology & Optometry/Sending again not sure if it went thru

Question
I was told by my Ophthalmologists that I have a mild case of Keratoconcus, but  a bad Astigmatism in my left eye only.  However, I looked up Keratoconcus on the web and I dont have any symptoms of Keratoconcus.  However, I do have a bad Astigmatism as I said in my left eye.  Yesterday I saw my optometrist where I get my glasses from.  After the exam I picked out frames.  The owner of the eyeglass place who is very knowledgeable told me I must get antiglare put on the lenses and the frames should sit closer to my eyes.

I do have to take off my eyeglasses to read, cannot see the letters/numbers when reading if I wear my glasses, also must take them off to sew. This is on this pair I am wearing now and on my last two pairs of eyeglasses. (Will pick up my new eyeglasses with the antiglare coating in a week).  Also Ido have one problem if a light fixture is above me the glare bothers me and throws me off balance and makes me queasy. This also happens in cars if I am not driving.

What I am wondering is do I really have Keratoconcus or is my problem from my Astigmatism?  The last three Ophthalmologists I have seen confirmed I have a mild case of Keratoconcus even though I told them I do not have one symptom of it.  Also will the anti-glare coating help my problem?

Answer
Debbie,
Thanks for sending again. I think it went through but the notification from AllExperts somehow got filtered into my "spam" folder. I apologize!

Keratoconus is a problem with corneal thinning, and as that change happens, it can cause shifts in astigmatism.  If it gets very dramatic, it can cause other problems like double vision, pain, watering eyes, etc.  In it's early stages, it just mimics normal 'astigmatism.'  The true way to tell is to do something called a corneal topography - which is a quick, in-office procedure where an instruement takes a picture of the front surface of the eye with some concentric rings, and maps out the curves.

If you indeed have keratoconus, it sounds like it is early.  Also to note - it is usually a bilateral disease, in which one eye may be 'affected' first, but eventually both develop signs.

It is fairly common, and usually easy to work with new glasses / Rx changes.  If the glasses become symptomatic then contact lenses work well.  There are also some very cool things going on with research right now to "stop" the progression of this disease, so keep in touch with your doctors regularly (yearly should be fine).

That being said, I would absolutely recommend an antireflective treatment for your glasses.  It will help cut down glare and reflected light, which can improve your performance and decrease discomfort.

If you're having problems, please schedule a followup with your eye doctor!

Good Luck,
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO