Ophthalmology & Optometry/eye problem

Question
hello sir i am 24 year old (india). my eye power is -4(right) and -4.25(left).i have a peculiar eye disease .i have consulted many MD doctors.but still  my problem is not resolved.  when ever i work more than 2 hours on computer .I feel my right eye power become week and i feel that i require more power lense in my right eye.
and after that if i do not use computer for two days then my right eye become normal...but it is not possible that i will not use computer.plz sir tell me what to do.i am very frustrated because of this problem .any medicine or eye drop.??

Answer
Jeff,
I apologize for the delay in my response - the email got filtered into my 'spam' and I didn't see it until yesterday.
It is not unusual for the visual system to change and/or fatigue with extended near work.  Our visual system (muscle, nerve, and brain) were set up to see far away.  Looking up close for more than a few minutes requires a great amount of work and coordination that we take for granted, but bottom line - it's a lot of work.  There are many people developing symptoms from extended computer use, and what you are describing is not uncommon at all.
Unfortunately, there is no medicine or eye drop that will make it go away.
You can start by taking breaks on this schedule...
Every 20 minutes take a 20 second break, and try and to look 20 feet away.
20 feet is where the eyes 'rest.'  This can be looking down a hall, out a window, or closing your eyes.  Try do this a few times and hour and it may help greatly.
If this doesn't work, or the problem changes, seek care with an optometrist (not MD, ophthalmologist) and request a behavioral work up, or a binocular evaluation.  They will test muscle balance, proprioception, and how the eyes 'team' together.  Sometimes there's an underlying issue that can be addressed to make these problems go away.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO