Ophthalmology & Optometry/New prescription/type of contac lenses

I recently had an eye exam to get new contac lenses and got new lsense with a new (higher)prescription.
I had worn my other prescription and lenses(Coopervision vertex sphere) for a good number of years.(I'm in my mid 50s and I know eyes do change.)
My question is-the Eye Dr.said to get the same brand Coopervision lenses but thought to try me with a newer,more breathable and healthier type lens called Coopervision Clearsoft Aspheric 100.These also have UV which is nice.
I am just wondering why although I am seeing clear it just seems to be an adjustement for me.
Not sure if it's the fact these new type of thinner (you can even see my blue eyes looking bluer that's how thin they are!)or maybe it's an adjustment on the higher prescription? It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I am not sure if I should go back to get my old type? In other words how long about to adjust to a new prescription and new type lens.
Thankyou for any info.

Changing the lens material sounds like a good idea, as the vertex is quite dated and not a very healthy option (despite you not having trouble with it in the past).  The 'adjustment' to the new lens material should involve lens comfort or discomfort - things like feeling your lens move, a dry sensation in the evening, etc.  Normally within a week or so that settles down and should be fine.
Anything other than eye-surface comfort is likely more related to the strength of the lens.  I think it would be a good idea to call the doctor and ask for an followup (should be free or very cheap) so he/she can check the Rx, and evaluate the new lens on your eye.  Perhaps a pair of lenses to try in the newer material, but in the older Rx, will help figure out if it's a material issue or a strength issue.
Good Luck!

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO

As a residency-trained Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry I am able to answer most questions regarding eye and vision health. Anything is welcome, ranging from dry or allergy eyes, bifocal contact lenses, or thoughts on LASIK surgery. As I am not a surgeon, detail-oriented surgical-related questions may be better answered by an ophthalmologist.

Selected to participate in the PCO residency program in Philadelphia at The Eye Institute, where I worked OD and MD specialists gaining invaluable experience in various clinics including glaucoma, cornea and cataract, oculo-plastics, retinal disease, neuro-ophthalmic disease, primary care, emergency medicine, and special populations. Have practiced and trained in numerous settings including hospital, academic, retail and private practice. I earned my Fellowship in the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). There are currently only about 3000 active fellows worldwide, and there are only about 70 Fellows in the state of Virginia. I currently own and operate my own optometric practice/clinic.

American Academy of Optometry, American Optometric Association (Contact Lens/Cornea Section member since 2001), Southwest Virginia Optometric Association, Virginia Tech Alumni Association

“Nyctalopia as the Presenting Sign of Vitamin A Deficiency: A Late Complication of Gastric Bypass Surgery.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Denver, Colorado, December 2006, co-authored with Bradley Lane, OD.
“The Importance of Considering Paranasal Sinus Mucocele as a Differential Diagnosis in Diplopia.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry San Diego, California, December 2005, co-authored with Kelly Malloy, OD, FAAO and Cherie Farkash, OD.
“Acute Onset of Halos and Glare: Bilateral Keratitis—An Atypical Presentation of Amiodarone Keratopathy.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Tampa, Florida December 2004. Also Presented to New Jersey Academy of Optometry, Neptune, New Jersey March 2005.
“The Opportunity for an Optometrist to Save a Life.” Clinical Case Study and Grand Rounds Presentation presented at The Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2004.
“Corneal whorls cause wonder.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 10/15/2006.
“Acute onset of halos and glare: bilateral corneal epithelial edema with cystic eruptions--atypical presentation of amiodarone keratopathy.” Co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO. Published February, 2006, Optometry.
“Pondering the posterior polka-dots.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 5/15/2005.
Professional Involvement:
“AION: Amiodarone-Induced or Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy?” Participated as a peer-review referee for Expert Review of Ophthalmology (London, UK); refereed 10/2006.

Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, Virginia Tech. Bachelor of Science, Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Doctorate (OD), Pennsylvania College of Optometry Residency, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry

Winner, First Place, "Best Beside Manner" by Our Health Magazine: 2012, 2013, 2014 Winner, First Place, "Best Eye Doctor" by The Roanoke Times: 2013, 2014 Recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, December, 2006 Recipient of the Onofrey G. Rybachok Memorial Scholarship, 2000-2001 Member: The Golden Key International Honor Society Member: The National Biological Honor Society Member: The National Honor Society Eagle Scout awarded 1994