Ophthalmology & Optometry/Contact lens problems

Question
I am a 29 year old female who wore Biomedics 55 contact lenses for 10 years straight (with occasional weeks of wearing glasses to give my eyes a break) from the ages of 16 to 26. I admit that as I teenager I overused the contacts and didn't change them frequently enough, but I didn't feel any pain or discomfort until I suddenly got a corneal ulcer at the age of 26. The ulcer scared me so badly that I stopped wearing contacts for the past 3 years until 4 months ago when I got Acuvue Oasys lenses and have been wearing them a couple of times a week ever since. I no longer take any chances with my contacts and wear them only as directed, cleaning them diligently and changing them frequently.

Lately I have noticed that my eyes have become extremely veiny and bloodshot all the time, whether I have been my wearing contacts or not. It gets a little worse every time I wear my contacts but doesn't seem to get better when I stop wearing them. The new veins seem to appear on the days of wearing contacts (or overnight) and don't ever seem to disappear. I've also started having a mild but constant foreign body sensation in the areas where the blood vessels are most prominent. Based on what I've read online I suspect it could be corneal neovascularization but I wonder how I wore less oxygen permeable lenses with no problems for 10 years and then suddenly started having dramatic eye changes after only 4 months of wearing these new lenses. What, in your opinion, is the issue here? Do you think I have corneal neovascularization related to contact lenses and what can I do to halt or correct the problem?

Answer
Acuvue Oasys get plenty of oxygen to the eye, so I doubt neovascularization is the issue.  Have you reported these symptoms and seen your doctor?  Getting checked to make sure your cornea is fine is the first step.  If there is even the slightest bit of dryness...called SPK.....it can trigger issues like you are having
If all is fine, you may need a different type of lens.  In problems like yours I always go to a 1-day lens....if only for awhile to see if the symptoms lessen.  With one days you are not dealing with dirty lenses or incompatibility with contact lens solutions.  Bio 55 are good lenses, but we do not use them much anymore.  The company who makes them...Cooper....has an excellent new one day lens as well as a high O2 monthly lens call the Biofinity.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Mike

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Michael J. Wojciak, O.D.