Ophthalmology & Optometry/Contact Lense Overwear

Hello Doctor,
I recently developed contact lens over wear syndrome and experienced 2 reoccurrences of inflammation when I started using lense again, even after inflammation was cleared the first time. It has been 3 weeks now and I am on glasses and performed 2 refractions, there seem to be changes on my degree and power on both eyes. My doctor is pushing for Lasik and I have to pay a hefty sum to go for the evaluation but my personal opinion is to wait at least 6 months before pursuing further. I have very dry eyes too. Could you please advise if waiting would be a better decision to allow my eye to heal completely and the power/degree to become stable?

Thank you for your question. I am always encouraged when people take charge of their health care and gather as much information as they can before deciding on a corrective action or procedure.

Contact lens over wear can cause a number of problems, from irritation and redness, to GPC (an allergic reaction to the lens material) and corneal ulcers. There is a strong temptation to wear them longer than you should, not replace them as often as is needed, or to forget to clean them properly. A good deal of that is the fault of the dispensing practitioner, the doctor or optician who fit and or sold them to you. We sometimes drop the ball by not clearly going over all the information you need to be successful.  Wearing schedules, cleaning procedures, proper case care, are all things we should be clear that you know prior to walking out the door.

After problems with contact lens wear like you’ve encountered, it is not at all uncommon for it to take a while for your prescription to stabilize. Your intuition to wait six months is a very perceptive as Lasik procedures typically require the candidate have a year of stable vision. Generally speaking, dry eyes are a contraindication to Lasik. You defining your eyes as “very dry” is a red flag. There are things they can do to treat dry eyes from prescription eye drops to small plugs that can be put into your tear ducts to keep the tear on your eye longer, even taking an Omega 3 supplement can make a noticeable difference in some cases. With the exception of Omega 3 supplements the other options can all have their unpleasantness when not absolutely necessary.  

I would take this information and use it to look for a second opinion.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/independent-ECP-pricing.asp Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2007/10oct/content/size-matters.asp

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service