Ophthalmology & Optometry/pink eye?

I'm a 23 year old female and work at a daycare. I went to my primary doctor and was diagnosed with pink eye almost two weeks ago. She gave me polymyxin B sulfate/trimethoprim drops. Took as directed, waited 6 days and the condition did not improve so I called my doctor. This time, she prescribed ciprofloxin eye drops which I have been taking for three days as directed with no improvement,  and actually worse. Both eyes are very red/veiny along with a yellow tint visible when looking under my bottom eye lids. The itching is driving me insane!  Is it possible I was misdiagnosed? I don't understand why I'm not at least improving. What else could be going on here? What would you recommend I do?

I should probably also mention that this is the first time I have ever gotten pink eye. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm just at a loss at what to do.

Hi Chantell,
At this point since it isn't better, and because you've been on two potent antibiotics, you know it wasn't a bacteria.  So the choice is virus or allergy.  A virus would have gotten better by now with no treatment.  So now it is either the eye drop chemicals irritating your eyes or allergy.  Your second drop has a high rate of eye irritation. Also you don't describe any significant pain only now itching.  So my best advice right now, not being able to  see your eye, is to stop all the drops and give the eye a rest.  You certainly should use what are called 'non preserved eye lubricating drops' available at any store. use no drop that comes in a bottle with a screw top because they have preservatives which may irritate.  if after a couple days it isn't ok but still itches, use an over the counter antihistamine called either Zaditor, Alaway, or Claratin Eye Drops.  You'll likely get better using only the lubricants. BUT IF IT IS WORSE, OR PAIN OR NO BETTER you must see an eye doctor to be sure it isn't some more concerning condition.

please write back with your progress.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease