Ophthalmology & Optometry/Wondering if I was misdiagnosed

Question
I am a 29 year old female who wears Acuvue Oasys lenses a maximum of 2-3 times a week but sticks to glasses most of the time. I'm very careful about keeping my lenses clean & fresh and I never use an old or dirty pair. Within the past few months I have noticed that my eyes have become veiny and bloodshot at all times. It seems to get a little worse every time I wear my contacts but doesn't seem to get better when I stop wearing them. New veins appear on the days of wearing contacts (or overnight after I take them out) and don't ever disappear. I've also started having a mild but constant foreign body sensation in the areas where the blood vessels are most prominent. My contacts have been out for over two weeks straight and there's been no improvement yet.

My doctor said it was GPC and prescribed Neo/Poly/Dex twice a day and it did not help. After 5 days he told me to use the drops three times a day and it still hasn't helped much. I've noticed a little improvement with the foreign body sensation but the red, bloodshot appearance is as bad as ever. I'm wondering if I've been misdiagnosed and if I should ask him to check for something else. Additionally, is there anything else I can do to lessen the redness in the meantime? Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Answer
Hi Tara,
It of course is only guessing, and without exam and more details to say anything is a guesss, but with respect to your infrequent contact lens use and good regimen, gpc would seem unlikely.  a sensitivity to the contact lens solution is suspect, but after two weeks of disuse I would expect some improvement.  The medicine, having the numerous chemicals and preservative could cause some irritating side effect.  Usually in a case like this I remove all meds/solutions/contacts and simply use over the counter preservative free lubricating eye drops frequently to see how it goes.  at least then you'll have an unadulterated case to evaluate and treat if it isn't getting better.
Hope you improve,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod