Ophthalmology & Optometry/Floating ball of light in peripheral vision.

Question
So I askes someone about this already and they said it was my vitreoua tugging the retina or a blood flow issue in my eye. How could I have this when I'm only 16

In my observations, they seem to happen randomly. Inside my home, I'm pretty sure it's not the lighting and I wear glasses and I know when light reflects off them. When I'm outside I don't see them - maybe due to the fact that its bright.

Here are the situations when I saw them:
• From a brightly lit room then goes to a dark bathroom to pee then a small ball of light floats in my peripheral vision.
• Sitting in my chair doing nothing, then I saw it again.

I have -a lot of- eye floaters you see and I don't know whether I have flashes or not. I'm going to the eye doctors tomorrow. To get my retinas checked and to know the ball thing but firstly I want to know this beforehand to get an idea.

Also what is an "arteriolar spasm" in the eye?

Answer
Lanz,

I have to compliment you on your efforts to research your symptoms. I can’t think of many sixteen year old people who would be as resourceful as you are at finding out information. I further am impressed that you take your health so seriously.

I have had similar experiences with light appearing in my vision in different forms. Most times it is the result of what is called an ocular migraine. People prone to migraine headaches sometimes see these in advance of getting a headache but most often people see them with no other symptoms.

Floaters are by and large normal. It is the reflection of cells from the back of the eye, the retina, which come off and are trapped inside the vitreous. The vitreous is a jelly like substance that fills the back of the eye and helps give it its shape. When light passes through your eye it passes over these slow moving cells and casts a shadow of the cell that you can see.

None of these things are usually a cause for worry unless they happen together and you notice a partial loss of vision. If you saw bright flashes of light and lots of new floaters it could be an indication that your retina is detaching from the back of the eye. If you notice that combination especially if diagnosed with glaucoma get to your doctor as soon as possible. This kind of event is also often followed by what appears to be a curtain hanging in front of the affected eye.

I hope this information helps. Your doctor will be able to properly diagnose you and treat any possible conditions or put you at ease knowing you are ok.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO