Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lenses damaged?

Question
QUESTION: I have two pairs of matching frames one with regular lenses and one with computer lenses. I recently broke a stem on my daily pair so I took my computer frames to the optical
Shop at my optometrist and asked them to switch lenses. When the lady gave them back to me my daily lenses, now in the better condition but exact frame were cloudy and certainly not sharp anymore. They are the kind that darken in the sunlight and I'm guessing they have a coating, though I'm not positive. Is there something the person likely did that caused this problem? They were fine when I gave them to
her to switch lenses. They did have a strong chemical smell on them and I'm also wondering if they were heated???

ANSWER: Scott,

If the lenses you have that change color are not glass, and unless you specifically asked for glass they would not be, the coating that changes them from light to dark is, for all intents and purposes, on the surface of the lens.
If heat was used to remove the lenses or adjust the frame after the lenses were installed, as in the case of a plastic frame, too much exposure to that heat can do exactly what you described.

As for the “strong chemical smell”, there are several chemicals that come to mind, acetone and a chemical neutralizer to remove tints that is sometimes used, with varying degrees of success, to remove light scratches both produce strong smells.

Acetone should not be used as a cleaner and NEVER used on certain materials because it “fogs” the lens by ruining the surface coatings. An odd smelling chemical would be the bleach or neutralizer. In reality nothing can repair a scratched lens. If we scratch one we throw it away, the lab cannot even remove them. But sometimes you can get just enough, let’s call it “melt”, to make the edges of the scratch appear less noticeable.

Another possibility is that one of the frames was slightly smaller than the other. It is not at all uncommon that two identical frames are not exactly the same. Sometimes heat is applied to the slightly smaller lens and it is flattened to make it fit more securely into the frame. That heat a pressure can also do what you describe.

None of the things I mentioned are appropriate unless the customer/patient is advised that in the course of the attempt damage may occur. And even then I would not do most of what is listed above. Some people will do whatever they can to “help” even when the odds are way against them.

So while I cannot say for sure what happened I can offer some possibilities.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the great answer. The lenses are fairly old and I'm of for some new ones so I'm not terribly distressed about it. I had read online that the coating can possibly be removed with armour etch. Is that true? Or is there another way for me to remove the coating to make them clear again for a few week as I wait for an optometrist Appnt and a new pair? They indeed are not glass.

Answer
It took me a few days to answer this because I went to the store to see what over the counter chemical we used to strip AR off. I could not find it but it was always a hit or miss proposition. It could ruin the lens as quickly as it could strip the AR off it.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO