Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eyelid cleaning

Recently I had conjunctivitis in my right eye. I went to see an ophthalmologist who prescribed eye drops and eye ointment. A week later, I returned to the same clinic for the follow-up. This time I was seen by a different ophthalmologist. I had already completely recovered from my conjunctivitis but this second ophthalmologist told me to learn eyelid cleaning.

Under what circumstances is it necessary to clean one's eyelids ? Is eyelid cleaning a treatment or is it a preventive measure ? Is it done for only a certain period or is it a lifelong daily practice ?

Are there risks in cleaning one's eyelids e.g. introducing bacteria, damaging an eye ? What are the correct steps in cleaning a lower eyelid and an upper eyelid ( any link to a demo on the internet ?) ?

The doctor may have detected a blepharitis or some dry .and prescribed lid treatment. Lid cleansing is a prophylactic  to prevent possible  future infecions. it is very common .you can ask your doctor for directions on how to do it .often times we prescribe an antibiotic ointment on the eyelids to be used at bedtime and we prescribe lead hygiene and warm compresses  on the lids . Hygiene can include wiping the lids with a moistened Q-tip ,baby shampoo ,and warm compresses, or a soft washcloth or digital massage .  Good luck. Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry