Ophthalmology & Optometry/Are my lenses wrong?

Question
I just got new glasses and am concerned about the lenses - both in terms of whether they were made right and how they fit in the frames. If it matters, I have a very basic prescription to correct slight nearsightedness. No progressive lenses or anything like that.

First of all, I feel that the lenses do not fit in the frames correctly. They fit perfectly at the top, but on the bottom the lens stick out slightly from the backs of the frames, while at the front there is a gap between the frame and the lens big enough to slide a corner of a piece of paper into. The frames are thick, while the lenses are quite thin, and I see no reason why they should not fit into the frames neatly all the way around.

More importantly, they distort my vision horribly. My prescription is slightly higher and the frames slightly larger than my old glasses, and this will take some getting used to. But I have been wearing them for three days with no improvement. When I turn my head everything seems to shift and move around me, and I feel nauseous. It has been extremely tempting to take them off but I have been trying to get used to them.  I feel like this should be improving by now, and have never had this much trouble adjusting to a new prescription before. If anything, it's getting worse.

On top of all of this, I am still waiting for a second pair of glasses which I bought at the same time, but they are replacing the frames as the technician who adjusted them for me ruined the original ones by overheating them. I have no idea if the lenses in those are any better. I do not trust this business anymore and want to know if I am justified in asking for a refund.

Answer
Sarah,

It sounds like you are having a fairly unpleasant experience with this pair of glasses. I’m sorry about that. Do you know what material your new lenses are made from and what your previous pair was made from? If your prescription has not changed much I would not expect you to get that “When I turn my head everything seems to shift and move around me, and I feel nauseous”. feeling.

The gap you describe at the bottom of the frame should not be there. The curve of the lens, the bevel placed on it and the frames curve should align. There are several reasons that would cause what you see none of which should be considered ok.

I would discuss these issues with the optician and give them the opportunity to explain why you notice these things and give them the chance to make it right with you. They don’t want to lose a patient and you don’t want to have to start all over.

Sometimes and error slips past or something does not get explained well enough, communication can sometimes be less than ideal with people trying to explain technical things and feeling things at the same time. By the way, if you “feel” something, something is there. You’re not making that up.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO