Ophthalmology & Optometry/macular degeneration

My 91 yr. old mother finds it very hard to read more than a couple of sentences without things becoming blurry and having eye strain. She was told by an ophthalmologist that she has macular degeneration. But according to her, he told her there's nothing that can be done for it. She uses 'Refresh' to moisten her eyes and says that helps, but that's it. I saw on TV that Bausch & Lomb has a product called PreserVision Eye Vitamins "specially formulated for people with moderate to advanced Age-Related Macular Degeneration." They are soft gel oral supplements. It goes on to say it "builds on the original, clinically proven PreserVision AREDS formula, with lutein and zeaxanthin replacing beta-carotene. This advanced formula is based on evidence from the National Eye Institute’s 2013 Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2)." This is the link to this product...

Is this just a marketing thing and a waste of money? My guess is that it is, but would like your opinion before telling my mother to go out and buy these; they are quite expensive. Thanks

We've been recommending products like the one you mentioned for years. it is the A.R. E DS formula which slows down the progression of macular degeneration by 25 to 30%  and in many cases reverses it to some degree if your mom has the dry type low vision aids and a large print books and magazines would be beneficial; if your mom has the wet type Intraocular injections may help   Vitamins as well as a Beta carotene zeta xanthine , lutein and antioxidants definitely have been shown to slow down the progression of macular degeneration. Hope this helps  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry