Ophthalmology & Optometry/Still Having Problems

Hello. I sent a question about a week ago, I think, about some problems I was having with my new glasses. I'd like to thank you for your response, and ask for your help again.
I have been back to the store since sending my last question and spoken to the optician. As I mentioned in my last question, the lenses do not seem to fit correctly in the frames. The size seems correct, but they do not appear to have been pushed into the frames all the way, if that makes any sense. The bottom sticks out on one side, while at the front there is a gap between lens and frame wide enough to slide my fingernail into. When I mentioned this to the optician, she told me this was because of my prescription. This made no sense to me, as the second pair of glasses I bought at the same time have even thinner frames, yet the lenses fit perfectly. My prescription is -1.00 in one eye and -0.75 in the other, if that helps. I am not sure what they are made of but they are just single vision lenses and not thick by any means. She reluctantly took them to the back (where I suspect she checked my prescription) and returned telling me that this was simply the "lens style." I have never heard of a "lens style" which involves the lens simply not fitting into the frame.
I also complained about my visual problems with the lenses, which she also dismissed. My previous prescription was -0.25 and -0.50, respectively, and she told me that because my prescription had "tripled" I would need at least two weeks to get used to the new lenses. This also does not make sense to me. I can see how 0.25 to 1.00 could be a significant increase, but 0.50 to 0.75 is hardly "triple" and I am having just as much trouble with that eye.
I have been wearing the glasses for 12 days now and they have gotten only slightly more tolerable. My peripheral vision is distorted and if I move my head even slightly while looking at a stationery object, it becomes distorted. The second pair of glasses are even worse - the only way I can think to describe it is that my eyes simply don't want to focus when I'm wearing them, and the distortion is worse. When I brought this up to the optician she told me that my prescription was "bang on" and that there is nothing wrong with them. Throughout the whole thing she has treated me like I am stupid for having these concerns.
So I suppose my main question is, what is a reasonable amount of time to adjust to new glasses? After 12 days they still make me feel nauseous and my eyes hurt, but the optician refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem.

The lens gap at the bottom can be caused by a lens being to “wide”. The width of a lens is known as the “A” measurement of the lens, if the lens is too wide it can pull the bottom of the lens out of the frame by stretching the material farther then it can go without twisting. Another way this gap can happen is by the frame having a different base curve than the lenses put into it. The lens curve on the front is known as the base curve of the lens. The frame can be heated and shaped to match a range of lens base requirements. I suspect one of these two to be good possibilities.

You also mention all the visual ill affects you have encountered trying to wear the new lenses. I would ask them what lens material they used to make your glasses and find out what material you had before. I suspect they have you in polycarbonate lenses. Polycarbonate lenses have one area of reasonable usage, in my opinion, and that is in protection form impact. If you work or take recreation in an activity that presents the possibility of impact they can save your eyes or if you have one good eye you want to be very sure you do all you can to protect it.  Your prescription is far too weak and inherently thin to need anything gained from a polycarbonate lens, but a lot of places sell it to everyone they can because it is profitable.

Next time you go back be sure you work with the licensed optician on staff. Canada has an exceptional licensing program for opticians and I am confident that if you work with one of them you will get this sorted out.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/independent-ECP-pricing.asp Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2007/10oct/content/size-matters.asp

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service