Ophthalmology & Optometry/cataract

Question
Hello Dr. Kenneth

Could you please guide me which is the most simplest and basic form of IOL which can be implanted during a cataract surgery.

I have been advised cataract surgery of right eye.

I do not have any personal requirement to get rid of my spectacles. I was told by the doctor that I could go in for monofocal lens - which may eliminate the need for glasses for distance vision but would require glasses for reading.

But is there anything even simpler than this ? Something very close to the original crystalline lens ? I do not want an artificially induced power in the IOL. Are any IOL's available without 'power' ?

Thanks and Regards,
PC

Answer
Dear PC. If you request an IOL without power you will need very thick lenses to correct your vision and that would be a mistake. The power of the IOL must replace the
Power of the crystalline lens that is being removed .  You do not need to get a multi focal  lens if you do
Not wish to, but that means you will need glasses for all close work i.e. Reading, computer.  Additionally ,laser assistance is more accurate than the conventional cataract surgery without laser  hope this helps. Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER