Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye Disease.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Robert

Are there eye diseases where the person is unable to view any colors except White and Black color?. I. E Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Violet etc

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Prashant,

Great question. You made me have to dig around a little to be sure of my answer. The answer is yes and the condition is called Achromatopsia. It affects 1 in 40,000 people, is genetic in origin, and is found in places of the world where the marriage of biologically related people have children.

In the retina there are rods and cones that are receptors of the photons of light as they come to focus on the back of the eye. There are three types of cones, red, green, and blue, and they perceive color while the rods see without color perception and are what allow for seeing in low light. A child born without functioning cones is unable to perceive any color. They see in grey scale. From black to white with no other colors.

QUESTION: Dear Robert

Thanks.

Can these be the line of treatment for Color Blindness and Achromatopsia?.

1  Eyes surgeries replacing the defective eyes with the donor eyes from the eye Banks.

2 Brain Surgery of the thalamus or Cerebral Cortex parts of the Brain.

3 Gene therapy.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,

I am going out on a limb here. The question, for practical purposes, is way outside of my scope of understanding. But, if I were going to give it my best guess I would think, assuming there is no other damage to the eye, or the retina and its connection, via the optic nerve to the brain, some sort of therapy that could introduce cones, whether mechanical or perhaps stem cell in origin, would seem to me to be the easiest way to go about addressing the condition.

No surgery exists whereby a donor eye can be implanted into another. The eyeballs connection to the optic nerve bundle which is connected directly to the brain, I believe, is the main reason for this not being a viable way to address the condition. Corneas are harvested but they are the clear part of the eye that covers the iris, or colored part of the eye.

The problem is not in the brain but in the retina. The retina is at the back of the eyeball on the inside.

These are guesses. An ophthalmologist or someone in research, stem cell, or neurology perhaps, could give you much better understanding of where we are and what the future holds for the treatment of this condition.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO