Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye Disease.

Question
Dear Dr Kenneth

Are there eye diseases where the person is unable to view any colors except White and Black color?. I. E Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Violet etc

If yes or no, What is the biological or Medical reason behind?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Yes it's very rare but is possible. It's called achromatopsia where the cones in the retina are defective and no color vision is perceived - only black and white and shades of grey. It is genetic and the defect is carried on the X chromosome, and is passed on to males.  There is no treatment.  Dr Berger

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER